Monday, February 23, 2009

The Academy Awards




Oscar Night!

I grew up in an Oscar house. Dating back as far as I can remember, I would watch the annual Academy Awards ceremony with my entire family, with each of us equally starstruck and mesmerized by the gala festivities. It was a tradition we eagerly awaited each year. Whether we had seen all the movies with nominations, or just a few, our eyes remained glued to the television screen from beginning to end. Aside from no longer watching the program with my parents and sisters, last night's broadcast was no different. Starting with the Red Carpet arrivals, and ending with the last award of the evening for Best Picture, my husband and I watched attentively to see who would be victorious and go home with a golden statuette. I usually get a least one phone call from each of my sisters during the program to share a noteworthy Oscar moment. Some things never change!

Vocabulary

Academy Awards: a program honoring excellent films and actors
starstruck: to be very impressed by someone famous
nomination: choosing or naming someone or something as a candidate, or possible winner
eyes remained glued: an expression meaning you watched carefully, without turning away
broadcast: a program on television
statuette: a small statue or figurine, in this case given to an Oscar winner

Complete each sentence with one of the vocabulary words above

1. The hockey game was so exciting that our ________________________ on the rink.
2. The sculptor made a small ____________ to represent the original larger statue.
3. That movie was so wonderful that I am sure it will win an _____________________.
4. When I saw Harry Connick, Jr., I was too ______________ to ask for his autograph.
5. I checked the TV Guide to see what time the _______________ is beginning.
6. Many movie stars say that it is an honor just to receive a ___________________.

Grammar Point: Past Tense

This story recalls memories from long ago, as well as those from as recently as last night. However, all these memories are in the past, and are expressed using verbs in the past tense. Reread the paragraph noting how many verbs are included in the past tense.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly,
    I also remember how exciting the Oscars were when I was a child. Only I would watch from the stairway, hidden from view. My bedtime was 10pm all through high school. I did not want to miss out on seeing who won. Lucky for me the stairs were perfect. It was like being in the balcony of an opera house, only no binoculars were needed.

    ReplyDelete